Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

More early 70's goodness from Mark

I love these early 70's cards so much that anything I write probably couldn't do them any justice.


The Ellis is severely miscut, and the Ullman has a heavy crease that runs right through his mouth.  The interesting thing about the 3 different sets that Mark sent me?   Each set has only 1 action card.  All the other photos are posed.  I wonder if Topps did that on purpose?



The 73-74 set is another favorite of mine, although I've never been able to figure out if there is a rhyme or reason to the different color borders.  The Doug Favell airbrushing of his Leafs jersey is horrible, yet funny!  I love the Dave Keon card.  I'm sure that people out there who aren't Leaf fans may have a bit of a difficult time figuring out which player is Keon.  (#14 in blue just in case you were wondering...)



I grew up in an Italian neighborhood in Toronto, and went to an Italian barbershop when I was a kid.  One of the reasons I loved going there?  They had a Leafs calendar on the wall.  The team card you see here reminds me of that calendar.  Without a magnifying glass, I can only make out a handful of players in the photo.  Ellis and Keon in the front row.  Ullman 2nd row center (A on sweater).  Darryl Sittler in the upper left.  Denis Dupere right below him (you can't miss that mustache).  Gord McRae, 2nd row far right, is the only goalie I know off hand. 

I was only 6 years old when the 73-74 season played out, but those are the earliest (and some of the greatest) memories of the Leafs I have.  Seeing my first game in the Gardens up in the Greys (nose bleeds), and loving every minute of it. 

Thank you for the cards Mark!  Brought back a lot of memories for me, and I love every minute of it.

thanks for reading, Robert

7 comments:

  1. Glad I could spark a few old memories. The color scheme has no rhyme or reason. But I do know any particular card of a certain player has a different color border in the O pee chee set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPC split that set into two series - first series got red borders, the second had green. I do think there were teams that got >1 action shot, at least in OPC - Boston, for one, had Hodge and Bucyk. There weren't many, though.

      Delete
    2. The Hodge card is one that I know of that had a different border.

      Delete
    3. The Orr is different, too. I think it's green in Topps. It's first-series in OPC, so it's red.

      Delete
  2. Seeing these action shots in 1972-73 Topps was really eye-opening. I had no idea they were there and it explains a bunch of oddities about 1972-73 OPC - like how Rick Martin has the only game action shot in the entire set and how Walt Tkaczuk had an action card and no base card. OPC repurposed a bunch of these pictures but wasn't dead careful about how they did it.

    ReplyDelete